I finished the Lipstick Traces socks last week, and I first wore them out of the house on Tuesday. They are comfortable and look cute…in fact, they match my Rosie the Riveter romper.
Apart from knitting them toe up, the only other modification I made was to ditch the row of red above the ribbing.
Knit from Cascade Heritage yarn in gray and Plymouth Happy Feet in red. Raveled.
It’s been a long week. Keeping it brief:
This is the sweater I started last week. Since I took this picture, I finished the shoulders, started the front, and gotten through all the arm shaping.
While working on this, I made a ton of mods.
– All the waist shaping was moved further inside the body of the sweater, so it looks like princess seams
– I made a short-row boob vent at the appropriate place
– When I worked the shoulders, I also worked short rows so that I didn’t have the stairstep problem that comes with binding off
– I kept live all the stitches that I would have to pick up for the sleeves and the neckline
This might be finished by the weekend…!
When Allyson D. of Holla Knits unveiled her Summer 2013 collection, I swooned over the Nachtfalter, a lacy pullover. I’d been looking for something with a blouse-like fit for balmy days.
I knit and blocked an 8″ x 8″ gauge swatch. Since my swatch came out smaller I opted to follow the directions for a 38″ bust instead of the 35″ I’d initially planned.
This is how it came out:
Though I’d gotten row gauge, the weight and drape of the yarn — combined with the positive ease — gave this a slouchier fit than I’d intended. After seeing these pictures I half-thought to rip out a few pattern repeats and finish from there.
When I was taking off the sweater, though, I saw…THIS:
I’d dropped one of the stitches while I was binding off for the shoulders, which would require me to take out the stitches and redo the top. As long as I have to do that, I might as well make this the sweater I want to make.
One of the great things about knitting is that crafters can create the garments that best fit them instead of making do. I’m looking forward to working with this and making something a little more suited to me.
Miss Holloway’s Dress
Designed by Sarah Wilson
Knit with Reynolds Fifth Avenue
Size XS (see notes)
I’m a big fan of the up-and-coming singer/songwriter Carla Morrison, but writing about her style feels reductive and a little insulting when you consider all the awesome things she’s done. She’s released two albums of beautiful and poignant music, she’s collaborated with some badass female musicians, and she’s politically active for gay rights and suffrage in her home country, Mexico. That said, I love her personal style — she looks classy and adorable in her uniform of tunics, leggings, and ballet flats.
When I saw the Miss Holloway pattern, the flat knitting scared me off, until I read some of the modifications on Ravelry. The coral-colored silk/wool I acquired at a destash party made me think of Carla’s dress from the “Una Salida” video, and off I went to swatch and cast on.
Because I’m working with heavier yarn, I’m knitting the XS size, and I cast on fewer stitches for the back. So far I’ve made the yoke, joined for knitting in the round, worked the waist decreases, and done two cable pattern repeats. This is my mindless ‘Doctor Who’ knitting, and I’m hoping it will be complete within the next week or two.