FO FRIDAY: Saucy Librarian

FO FRIDAY: Saucy Librarian

I finally finished the Saucy Librarian last week. Loving it — great late-summer knit!


FO? Friday, 12 July 2013

When Allyson D. of Holla Knits unveiled her Summer 2013 collection, I swooned over the Nachtfalter, a lacy pullover.  I’d been looking for something with a blouse-like fit for balmy days.  




I knit and blocked an 8″ x 8″ gauge swatch.  Since my swatch came out smaller I opted to follow the directions for a 38″ bust instead of the 35″ I’d initially planned.  


This is how it came out:



Though I’d gotten row gauge, the weight and drape of the yarn — combined with the positive ease — gave this a slouchier fit than I’d intended.  After seeing these pictures I half-thought to rip out a few pattern repeats and finish from there.  


When I was taking off the sweater, though, I saw…THIS: 



I’d dropped one of the stitches while I was binding off for the shoulders, which would require me to take out the stitches and redo the top.  As long as I have to do that, I might as well make this the sweater I want to make.  


One of the great things about knitting is that crafters can create the garments that best fit them instead of making do.  I’m looking forward to working with this and making something a little more suited to me. 

At long last…FO Friday, 21 June 2013

ImageEarlier this week I bound off the last stitch on my Miss Holloway (Raveled) dress.  What a relief!  I thought it would never end.  All that purling! 

When I cast on for this dress, I asked in an internet forum about whether anyone had knit this in the round.  As if on cue, a seaming enthusiast came out of the woodwork to tell me “oh, the designer usually makes things in the round, and seams stabilize a garment, and you should really knit this flat because of reasons”.  And, well, those who say it can’t be done are usually interrupted by someone doing it. 

ImageTo replicate seams I slipped the stitches on the far left and right of each side.  I worked the traveling cables with 12 rows between them.  Instead of bust darts, I did work a “butt vent” — a series of short rows over, well, the obvious part of my anatomy, to accomodate my swayback.  Because of the cable placement I worked the increases and decreases close to the side “seams”. 

I knit this from worsted weight yarn, which is heavier than what Sarah Wilson used in her samples.  This meant that I had to knit the XS size.  I had to rip back the back neckline a few times to get the right width.  The only thing I don’t love about this is that I have a slight dropped shoulder with the sleeves.  Apart from that, I love this dress. 


FO Friday Rain Delay, 6/7/2013


The good news is, I bound off on something last night.  

The bad news is, I can’t show you a picture of it until its intended owner receives it.  

The [THING] is a wearable accessory that was inspired by a series of books that both myself and my swap partner love.  I knit the endless yards of garter stitch from Lady Dye‘s hand-dyed sockweight yarn.  The color is great and the yarn feels as though it was carded from kitten fur and the undersides of cumulus clouds.  (No kittens were harmed in the making of this [THING].)  

As soon as this gets to my fabulous and adorable swap partner, I will post it here.  I can’t wait for her to see it!