I felt pretty frustrated midway through the scallop stitch pattern on the failed capelet, and once I took that off the needles I decided to work on some smaller projects. A while ago I got Alex Tinlsey’s Hollywood Blvd. tam pattern as a gift, and once I found three skeins of Plymouth Suri Merino I knew I had to finally cast on.
The hat went everywhere with me, from doctor’s appointments to concerts by The Damned.
While the brim took about a day or two to knit, working the star lace pattern proved a little more challenging. I got tripped up on the [k1, p1] ten times direction and only worked the ribbing over ten stitches, only to realize that I actually had to knit ribbing over twenty stitches. Reading comprehension is not always my strong suit, what can I say.
Once I got past that, I made short work of the project, and it’s been on my head ever since.
While I’m proud of my work and wear my hat proudly, there are definitely things I’d do differently. I’d hoped for something shaped like a beret, with a tighter hatband and a floppier head. The hat has a baggier fit, closer to a beanie (and yes, I did get gauge). If I were to knit this again I’d knit the first eight rows on a smaller needle and go up after that.
This hat matches my fall coat perfectly, and it will work great with my peacoat. However, it also looks adorable with my day-to-day wear, which helps since I’m in a draftier building today. Here I am emulating Rodarte stylist and all around rad lady Shirley Kurata.
(yes, I know the proportions are off)