WIP Wednesday: Look how far we’ve come!

Whence last we left Saucy, she was but a short strip of tightly-knit red seed stitch.  Look at her now!  



I am about one row from working the boob vent.  Will I be done with her this weekend?  One can hope!  


FO Friday: The yarn wants what it wants

In the post-tax day season, I bought myself a Frolic Skirt as an early birthday gift.  



The summer issue of Knitscene came out not long after that, and when I saw the Sundial Tee, I realized it would look adorable with my new schmatte.  



I wasn’t crazy about the wide armholes, as my underarms aren’t something I enjoy showing the world.  Additionally, my one experience with Malabrigo Lace was not one I cared to repeat.  Instead, I chose a DK-weight yarn for the project — Cascade Ultra Pima in shocking pink.  My gauge came out to 5 stitches to the inch, and I knit the smallest size. 

As I’ve said before, I modified the pattern quite a bit.  I worked slipped-stitch “seams” along the sides to stabilize the shirt.  When I got to the bust area, I worked short-row bust darts so that my shirt wouldn’t ride up in the front.  I also worked short-rows through the shoulders, three-needle bound off the shoulder seams, and did i-cord edging for the collar.  The sleeves were the hardest part — I had fewer stitches than the pattern called for and I just kind of winged it. 

This is how my Sundial Tee came out:



I’m generally proud of how the top fits me!  The yarn was a dream to work with and the top looks and feels great.  The sleeves do give me pause, though.  I’d like to find a sleeve that might look a little more flattering.  Thoughts? 

WIP Wednesday. 24 July 2013: At home, at work, at plaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

(Gentleman Caller and I are going to see Sparks the day before Halloween, OMG)

I finished the tee shirt on Saturday and started swatching for my next project on Sunday.


This is the collar for Saucy Librarian, a top-down sweater.  I’m knitting Saucy from some Classic Elite Seedling in Salvia Red that I bought from Yarns in the Farms in Beverly on my DIY Yarn Crawl.


I’m also working on a THING for a PERSON in a knitswap, which has been my on-the-go knitting.

WIP Wednesday, 7/17/13: Shocking grapefruit vomit pink

It’s been a long week.  Keeping it brief: 


This is the sweater I started last week.  Since I took this picture, I finished the shoulders, started the front, and gotten through all the arm shaping.  



While working on this, I made a ton of mods.  

– All the waist shaping was moved further inside the body of the sweater, so it looks like princess seams

– I made a short-row boob vent at the appropriate place

– When I worked the shoulders, I also worked short rows so that I didn’t have the stairstep problem that comes with binding off

– I kept live all the stitches that I would have to pick up for the sleeves and the neckline


This might be finished by the weekend…!  

FO? Friday, 12 July 2013

When Allyson D. of Holla Knits unveiled her Summer 2013 collection, I swooned over the Nachtfalter, a lacy pullover.  I’d been looking for something with a blouse-like fit for balmy days.  




I knit and blocked an 8″ x 8″ gauge swatch.  Since my swatch came out smaller I opted to follow the directions for a 38″ bust instead of the 35″ I’d initially planned.  


This is how it came out:



Though I’d gotten row gauge, the weight and drape of the yarn — combined with the positive ease — gave this a slouchier fit than I’d intended.  After seeing these pictures I half-thought to rip out a few pattern repeats and finish from there.  


When I was taking off the sweater, though, I saw…THIS: 



I’d dropped one of the stitches while I was binding off for the shoulders, which would require me to take out the stitches and redo the top.  As long as I have to do that, I might as well make this the sweater I want to make.  


One of the great things about knitting is that crafters can create the garments that best fit them instead of making do.  I’m looking forward to working with this and making something a little more suited to me. 

WIP Weds, 10 July 2013: Sundial Tee, bottom hem



Someday, this reverse stockinette hem will grow up to become the Sundial Tee (Raveled) from the Summer 2013 issue of Knitscene.  I spent Monday making a kid-sized chemo cap/gauge swatch, came up with 20-ish stitches to the inch, and after some calculations opted to follow the directions for the XS sized top.  I’m working with Cascade Ultra Pima yarn in a bubblegum pink color.  


I finished casting on last night while watching The Age of Innocence (as a supplement to the current CraftLit book) and I am now about four or five rows in.  Gentleman Caller and I are going to NYC this weekend and I’m looking forward to getting some knitting time in on the bus down.